Australia is an outdoors kind of place. The vast and wide-open spaces along with world-class recreational facilities have created a culture of getting outside and take advantage of everything the country has to offer. Surfing some of the world’s most famous breaks, snow skiing in mountain resorts, scuba diving coral reefs and tropical islands, and four-wheel-driving through world heritage listed rainforests and the great Australian outback are some of the big ticket items available to locals and visitors alike.
On a local scale, adventures can be just as exciting in your own hometown and suburbs. A day of fun in the sun at the local beach or swimming pool is a great day out for family and friends, and what self-respecting Australian doesn’t love a barbecue and a game of backyard cricket? For those who live in the City of Canterbury, the number of outdoor activities in Roselands and the surrounding area is extraordinary. From the extensive network of walking and cycling paths, to recreational facilities that get the heart racing, to your more leisurely and cultural pursuits, Roselands has multiple choices for people of all ages and fitness levels.
Roselands Parks and Playgrounds
Want to get out and stretch the legs, enjoy some wide open space and nature at its finest? The number of parks and playgrounds in Roselands and the surrounding area is incredible. Get your running shoes on and go for a brisk walk or jog to stay fit and healthy, gather the family for some fun and games and a barbecue, or simply take a picnic basket and blanket and relax for a few hours while soaking in the beautiful surroundings.
- Parry Park: 571-577 Punchbowl Road – public toilets, sporting fields and tennis courts, so there’s no excuse for staying inside when the sun is shining.
- Wiley Park: Corner of Canterbury Road and King Georges Road – Barbecues, picnic area, outdoor gym, large ponds and public toilets, also houses the local amphitheatre where community events such as Carols in the Park are hosted.
Dog friendly parks
Owning a dog is a big part of the Australian way of life and living in the city shouldn’t preclude your beloved pet from getting the exercise it needs, not to mention its owner as well! There are plenty of dog friendly parks and off-leash areas in and around Roselands where you can let your furry friend run free and play with other dogs. Just remember you must be in control of your dog at all times, clean up after them should they make a mess, and put them back on the leash before leaving the dog-friendly area. There are dog parks in Ashbury, Canterbury, Punchbowl, Campsie, Earlwood and Belmore, but for Roselands locals the closest is:
- 51-57 Karne Street North, on the northern side of the M5 – tap and bowl so they can get plenty of water, dog agility and exercise equipment, seating and dog bins with bags are all available.
Roselands Aquatic Centre
Providing a wonderful swimming and fitness experience for almost 50 years, the Roselands Aquatic Centre has everything you need for a great day for everyone from individuals to large groups. Featuring a 50m outdoor pool and 25m indoor pool, toddler’s pool for little ones and their parents, a large grass area to relax and enjoy a bite to eat, picnic and barbecue facilities plus a fully stocked kiosk, sauna, undercover grandstand, and hot showers and family-friendly change rooms. There are more than 40 fitness classes every week for those who are looking to work up a sweat, so there really is no excuse for not staying fit and healthy. Plus there are a range of swimming programs available including learn to swim, squad and swim coach training, intensive school holiday swimmingand aerobics classes.
- Centre Avenue, Roselands – next to Roselands Shopping Centre
Tennis and netball courts
Feel like channelling your inner Leyton Hewitt or Sam Stosur? How about Sharelle McMahon or Liz Ellis?
There are plenty of tennis courts in the local area to hire so grab some rackets, balls and friends and have your own mini-Australian Open tournament to decide who really is the champion in your group. There are courts in Earlwood, Canterbury, Punchbowl, Beverly Hills, Belfield and Narwee.
- Tennis court hire – call Sportsmax on 0434 236 038
Alternatively, shoot some goals with your friends at one of three convenient locations in the local area. There are netball courts at Clemton Park, Croydon Park and Rudd Park for you to show what you’re made of. You never know, a scout from the New South Wales Swifts might be walking past and notice your skills!
Cycling and walking trails
With so many beautiful parks, open spaces and the picturesque Cooks River, the wider Roselands area is perfect for exploring via the bicycle and walking pathways.
- Cycle way to Botany Bay – This 23km bike path starts at Settlers Park, hugs Cooks River through Gough Whitlam Park before finishing at Botany Bay.
- Canterbury Velodrome – Cycling clubs can book the velodrome at Bayview Avenue in Earlwood by calling (02) 9789 9444. There’s off-street parking, touch football fields, toilets, a grandstand and change rooms available.
- Two Valley Trail Walk – A delightful escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. This lengthy 13km trail will take you through the Wolli and Cooks River Valleys, featuring beautiful bushland, parkland and the riverside.
Exercise and Fitness Equipment
You don’t need to hit the gym to stay fit and healthy, especially when you’ve got so many free outdoor training opportunities in the Roselands area.
Cooks River Fitness Trail
Combine a run along the Cooks River with regular stops to use the dedicated exercise equipment. There are four exercise stations along the existing cycle path between Ewan Park at Foord Avenue and Close Street near Canterbury Road. Each station has a number of machines so you can get the heart rate up and improve your fitness levels while enjoying the great outdoors at the same time.
Wiley Park Outdoor Gym Equipment
If you’d rather have all of your exercise equipment in the one place, head to Wiley Park and take advantage of the state-of-the-art outdoor gym. Featuring a number of exercise machines for building muscle and strength while shedding the kilos, you’ll get a great workout that will have you looking like any of the fitness buffs at the local gym.
Lantern Club is the perfect way to end the day
After you’ve spent the day burning all of your energy at one of the many recreational facilities in the Roselands area, you’ll need to refuel with a delicious meal and refreshing beverage. The menu at MàZi Restaurant has an incredible range of dishes featuring only the finest and freshest ingredients, ensuring you’ll replenish the nutrients you’ve used throughout the day. Some of the highlights include:
- Seared scallops with green peas, risotto cakes, green apples and romescu sauce
- Slow cooked corn fed chicken breast with prawns
- Smoky BBQ marinated pork ribs
- Three mushroom ravioli
- A selection of succulent steaks
- Churros – cinnamon covered Spanish donuts, chocolate sauce and fresh berries
- MàZi Sundae – ice cream, fruit coulis, wafer, whipped cream and macerated cherry
We use the freshest foods to ensure your energy levels are back to peak levels. That way you can head out and do it all again the next day, perhaps trying out a new recreational activity with family, friends or by yourself. After all, there are so many outdoor activities in Roselands it will take you a long time to try them all.
To reserve your table, make a booking online or call us on (02) 8037 8200. We look forward to ensuring your perfect day of outdoor activities in Roselands is complete with an amazing meal at MàZi Restaurant.
© Lantern Club, Roselands